Register for one or both training held at Golder Associates Office in Nepean
Welcome to the OSSGA Job Bank/Classifieds Section. All OSSGA member companies and their volunteers are invited to post opportunities in the stone, sand and gravel industry, or openings with Associate member companies.
Detailed job openings/classifieds are posted for 45-days, or until the expiry date has passed. Members can access the website, 24/7, to review opportunities.
For more information, contact Richard Hillier, Manager, Communications, at (905) 507-0711 ext. 206.
Company: Walker Industries
Walker Industries has proven to be a dynamic and diversified company. Our group of companies include aggregates, construction, emulsions, environmental project management, waste management, renewable energy projects and organics processing. Walker Industries has a strong reputation for integrity and advanced solutions and is a company dedicated to the environment, community, and safety of our employees.
General Accountant – Walker Aggregates Inc.
Your goal in this position is to help support the accuracy and integrity of financial statement data, working closely with team members and operations staff. You will verify, accrue and analyze detailed accounting information used to prepare financial statements as well as provide data analysis relating to business and operational requirements. Another key responsibility is project work that is identified and undertaken focusing on, but not limited to, improvements to systems and process efficiencies.
We have three corporate accounting teams who serve three major Walker Industries divisions. Working on a team with one of our accounting managers alongside a Staff Accountant and AR/AP colleagues, you will be the general accountant responsible for Walker Aggregates, a bustling division with numerous sites, several hundred employees, both union and non-union. Serving this division with great accounting work means lots of variety, challenge and growth.
The General Accountant will report directly to the Divisional Controller of Walker Aggregates Inc. and will work out of our Thorold area Head Office, located at 2800 Thorold Townline Road in Niagara Falls, Ontario.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Preparing accurate and timely monthly financial statements.
- Analyzing financial information to identify and investigate significant variances to budgets and providing explanations to support the Divisional Controller in finalizing financial statements.
- Performing cost analysis, explaining variance and other discrepancies and ensuring work is performed in accordance with timelines.
- Preparing monthly key performance indicator metrics and analyzes data.
- Reviewing account reconciliations and analysis.
- Collaborating with operations team to identify opportunities for process and system improvements.
- Preparing and developing annual budgets and forecasts, coordinating with operations.
- Providing financial analysis support to operations and construction teams.
- Assisting the Divisional Controller with annual corporate tax and other government filings.
- Liaising with external auditors as required, throughout the year.
- Preparing year-end files for annual year-end financial audit and responds to audit inquiries, in support of and with assistance to the Divisional Controller, ensuring efficiency in the process.
- Providing back-up relief support for Staff Accountant during absences and vacations.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned, including those given by the divisional Executive Vice President.
You’ll succeed in this role because you are: someone who takes initiative, loves to learn and grow, and thrives doing challenging accounting work in a quick-paced environment.
You also thrive when you get to understand the business, work closely with people across functions, and when you get to have a say not only in your own work but in the success of the business over time.
Experience working in accounting, specifically with:
General ledger accounting;
Fixed asset accounting.
University education in the field of accounting or related field;
Enrolled in a professional accounting designation program;
Advanced MS Excel skills – including filters & formulas;
Experience with JDEdwards an asset.
This is a full-time, permanent role with a competitive salary including a superior benefits package along with other unique employee programs. Typically, work schedules are Monday to Friday with some flexibility when the need arises.
Working at Walker Industries
We’re proud to be growing, serving more customers and providing more jobs across Canada.
We’re proud of our environmental stewardship – turning waste into useful products and energy and working to the highest standards of disposal.
We’re proud to use the best tools and technology in the business – serving our customers well and keeping our employees safe.
And we’re proud of an awesome people-first culture. Working here means being part of a team – not a cog in a machine – and even in regional offices we feel valued, autonomous, and central to the action. Everyone at Walker has a voice.
HOW TO APPLYTo apply, click here.